Look at the Baby Corn Snakes that Just Hatched!

dscf1034.jpgAbout 2 months ago Tracy Hall brought us in 16 Corn Snake eggs to incubate. The mother of these eggs is a very pretty albino okeetee variety. The father is a common motley.

Every morning we sort through the incubator to see how all the eggs are doing. This includes tortoises, chameleons, bearded dragons and more corn snakes at the moment. It’s always exciting when one of the boxes is full of babies instead of eggs!

Saturday was one of those moments as Tracy’s eggs had started to hatch. By this morning all of the corn snakes had hatched and were busy burying themselves in the vermiculite. Out of the 16 eggs, 15 were successful and only one of the eggs turned out to be unviable.

dscf1028.jpgThey have now been moved into a larger container in the heated hatchling rack. As soon as they have completed their first shed they will be offered their first meal. We make sure all our hatchlings have had at least 4 feeds before they are offered for sale.

Tracy will be taking one of her babies home and the rest will be available for sale to good homes. It is the time of year for corn snakes to be hatching so we’d love to hear from anybody else how has been successful at breeding their pets.

Recommended Products

35 Responses to Look at the Baby Corn Snakes that Just Hatched!

1. mark sisco May 14, 2009 at 4:00 pm #

Do you have any ball pythons?

• Gary May 15, 2009 at 12:29 pm #

Yes Mark we have a few. Commons and 50% hets for albino and pied

2. Brian Doonican May 15, 2009 at 9:39 am #

do you have these for sale in the shop now?

• Gary May 15, 2009 at 12:29 pm #

Not yet Brian, we will wait until they have had at least 4 feeds so it will be about another month. They are out the back but if you come in you are more than welcome to see them

3. Tracy Hall May 19, 2009 at 10:33 am #

Just wanted to say a huge thank you to all the staff at the Reptile Shop for all their help in hatching these babies for us. Also, mega thanks for putting up with me keep calling to see how the babies are doing!!

4. george cottell May 28, 2009 at 4:28 pm #

if my beardies had eggs together, would you buy them?
    if so, how much for

• Gary May 29, 2009 at 11:38 am #

We so take a lot of babies from customers George. What we can offer depends on so many different things. The best thing to do is give us a call when your lady lays some eggs. We’d be glad to help

5. JOSH May 31, 2009 at 10:21 pm #

Hi just got my creamsicle corn snake home, he seems to have really settled in well and is getting to know his new home many thanks for a great service
    Josh v

6. Martin June 23, 2009 at 11:29 am #

I have 2 corns that have bred a male yellowcreamsicle and a female snowcorn 4 days ago she layed 14 eggs they all look good. i have them in damp moss at 80f. I can only hope they come out as nice as those.

• Gary June 23, 2009 at 1:02 pm #

Good luck Martin, I hope they all do well. Make sure you take plenty of pictures!

7. harry July 5, 2009 at 7:34 am #

they are awsome! i have a load of corn eggs at the moment, they are ment to hach start of summer holidays around 16th 17th 18th july. i am wondering what temperature it should be in there container?

• Gary July 6, 2009 at 8:40 am #

Hi Harry

Aim for around 84oF that’s what we keep our incubator at, good luck

8. harry July 7, 2009 at 3:28 pm #

i do have it at that already, i was wondering what temperature i should have the container that they are going in after they have hached at?. that is what i realy need to know. thanks.

• Gary July 8, 2009 at 8:22 am #

Hi Harry, keep them at the same temperature you keep the adults

9. harry July 8, 2009 at 3:06 pm #

thanks you have been a lot of help

10. harry July 14, 2009 at 6:58 pm #

hi gary, my snake eggs have got a few cracks in now and we think they are going to hach this week. should i be doing anything like getting stuff ready?

• Gary July 15, 2009 at 1:27 pm #

Good news, get their new home ready! Do not remove any of the hatchlings until they have all hatched. Let them have their first shed and give them their first pinky!

11. harry July 15, 2009 at 2:50 pm #

ok thanks alot i will do that

12. lisa July 16, 2009 at 5:34 pm #

hello there my corn snake has had 20 babys 7 days ago how soon will it take for them to shed and eat there first pinkie am i ok to keep all of them together in the same vivarium thanks

• Gary July 17, 2009 at 8:07 am #

Congratulations! They should shed any time now. They can be kept together but obviously seperate them when you feed them. The only problem with keeping them all in together as babies is that you will find it hard to keep a feeding record of each snake. This is very important if you are planning to rehome them

13. harry July 25, 2009 at 12:35 pm #

my baby snakes have finaly hached , all 12 of them.
    i am coming in to your shop today to buy some pinkeys. They are so cute.

14. cathy January 13, 2010 at 7:06 pm #

Hi,
    is there a segment on here about breeding corn snakes at all… once i have had my 3 sexed then im considering breeding maybe over next few years.. ty

15. Abadi February 10, 2010 at 1:38 pm #

Awww, i love the way they are, theyre too small/cute, i often loved snakes , in fact my best of all reptiles, i was wondering, Gary, How much would a baby corn snake cost ALONE. 🙂

• Gary February 11, 2010 at 11:56 am #

Hi Abadi, depends on the time of year but usually from about £40 upwards.

16. Abadi February 11, 2010 at 5:03 pm #

Thats nice, this price really fits usually theyre alot expencive, i guess adults. but rat snake species are like so common as pets

17. Ben Russell February 16, 2010 at 7:03 pm #

Hi Gary, babies looks great, cant wait to start breeding mine, there just so facinating, do you have any female westurn hognoses in at the minute, and how big should these be before trying to breed?
    thanks
    Ben

• Gary February 17, 2010 at 11:29 am #

Hi Ben

We currently have 4 western hognoses in the shop at the moment. I’d be amazed if one isn’t female! They haven’t been probed yet though.

They are only babies at the moment, they will be physically able to breed after a year or so but you need to make sure they are of a size capable of passing eggs safely. If I said 14″+ you’d be about right.

18. Gemma Hoe February 16, 2010 at 7:20 pm #

Hi, im Gemma Hoe.

Just wanted to say very cute snakes awww i cant stand like that theyre adorable!, i came to the shop yesterday its awesome, i spent alot theyre.. there was Sam Shapter helping me and explaining to me about everything, i really saw adorable animals that couldnt un handle them since i picked them up! and i bought a setup of beardie dragons theyve told me to make it ready while i go get my free 2 beardies. that was an awesome offer i was wayyy too pleased! and Thanks alot Shop team!

19. Ben Russell February 20, 2010 at 7:22 pm #

Thanks Gary, i should be in next weekend to look for a male corn and a new incubator so hopefully another hognose aswell!

20. Andrew June 18, 2010 at 7:29 pm #

Hi Gary I was just after a little advice if you can. I currently have a clutch of corn snake eggs that I was not expecting. The eggs were not in the best of conditions for the first week while I waited for my Herp2 incubator to arrive. They have since been in that set at 28 degrees Celsius. We are now on day 72 and there is no sign off the hatchlings. The eggs have expended to a nice size but are also showing dark parts like stretch marks. Do you think I should be worrying about them yet. Kind regards

• Gary June 21, 2010 at 2:04 pm #

Hi Andrew, sometimes they do take a little longer but it doesn’t sound like you need to be worrying yet. The eggs seem pretty healthy, you will just look in there one day and they will be out! Let us know how you get on

21. Andrew June 30, 2010 at 6:08 pm #

Hi Gary thanks for the advice. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you been busy with all 9 hatchlings, as you said I looked in on Sunday 20th it was day 74 and there they were. All doing fine and had their first shed. Having a problem with 2 of them not eating but I am going to give it a few days and try again.

22. Bonton822 July 15, 2011 at 9:04 pm #

hi MY corn snakes had there first clutch 59 days ago the first one was peeping its head out the egg this morning. The father is the orange albino and mother is a common. The first one is albino. It wont come out of the egg yet how long should i give it. We have 27 eggs all are good except one i cant wait and my kids are siked. My daughter wanted a albino and shes getting her wish. When i bought the snakes i had no idea they were boy n girl and i named the boy one snowwhite and the girl trophey oops .

23. All Inclusive Resorts February 5, 2014 at 5:40 pm #

Them both have immediate access to lengthy shoreline and home reef teeming with corals as well as other nautical life.

24. Jasmine September 4, 2014 at 2:23 pm #

my female corn laid eggs around the 27th of June I took them to a local breeder/reptile store to be incubated it is now74 dates and they haven’t hatched yet is this bad and should I be worried